Tutorials!

Although Blogger still shrugs its shoulders and says, THAT blog address? No, that doesn`t exist - I will just carry on for a while, chatting patiently with myself, getting some sense into my always rather entangled thoughts. It helps writing them down, the advisers say. And though I distrust any kind of "Advisers" or even "Influencers", this is a piece of wisdom which I find true. What I, however, really like on the internet are all the wonderful tutorials they offer, even for free (or for data, possibly). And TED talks too. What a great invention! You can lern the most amazing things! Today when I came home I was looking at the two pieces of flowery material, fabric, what do you call it? (My English is torn between British and American, and on top of that even old-fashioned. I learned it in the sixties). The things that I bought from the odds-and-ends-table, which I can seldom resist. Today in the sunshine I felt like sewing me some nice new summer skirts, that`s how it began. I have done that before, and I am even wearing them, BUT!! Today, for the first time, I watched a few of the wonderful skirt-sewing tutorials, and did I get a fright! So far I must have done everything wrong, haha! The ladies were so savvy and making it look so easy, even the complicated parts, like the Abnäher, whatever that is in English. Even them! Now I hardly dare to begin, for fear they might jump out of my computer and slap me on the hands if I failed to draw the curved line properly! This leads me to the other mistakes I made in my entire life! You know, those that haunt you in the middle of the night and make you get up, look out at the moon (did you know in German is male? DER Mond)(The sun is female, DIE Sonne), drink a glass of water and finally check facebook? Because suddenly you remember how you once asked that nice woman sitting beside you when her baby was due, and she stared at you... no baby, just a belly! Or how you once insisted on some TRUTH that you knew for sure, and later you had to admit your husband was right. All the things that you messed up, and there are multitudes. Shame! But then, we all begin young and stupid, don`t we? The main lesson we have to learn in our lives is to stay humble and accept that all we can do is try. And fall on our noses and eat dirt and then hope someone will help us up. And finally to understand that we ALL need a helping hand and so next time stretch ours out. Oh my, do I sound like preaching - I am far from it. I abhor preaching. All I am doing here, and probably end up doing so in every one of my letters, is share my own faults, funny experiences, and what I (personally) learned. Chuckle. Not too much so far, apparently (still not making plans before I begin). There was just a heap of things that I did not know when I was young, and there is no use in blaming me, or anyone, for that. Right? Must remind me of that next time I wake up at three a.m. and look at Mr. Moon. There are some beautiful old German songs about the moon, very soothing. That is the good thing about getting old. You have the CHANCE to get wise!

Comments

  1. This is hilarious!!! Thinking of having a woman from a tutorial reach out from the computer and slap your hand for a sewing mistake!!! So funny! Now I must let you know that on my iPhone I typed in lettersfromalistener.blogspot.com and the blog post came right into view. I don't think I can find it by googling Letters from a Listener, but right now doing what I did is good enough. On my computer I can get to you quite easily because I have your blog bookmarked.
    Today I posted other thoughts on my blog; these were thoughts generated by the discussion of a wonderful book by a Texas author. The title of the book is God Save Texas: A Journey into the Soul of the Lone Star State by Lawrence Wright. He's a Pulitzer Prize winner, a native Texan and he lives in Austin. I had read the book several years ago & liked it, so I was very please that my book club buddies liked it. We had great discussions about the book and life in general!!!
    I think I'm going to change the title of my blog from "Thinking" to "Ruminating" which was what my blog today was about... Ruminating on God Save Texas. I love that word! Hope you read it & leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cheryl, I did comment and hope very much that you received it. This is all not going smoothly yet. I am still waiting for Val to return from her trip, maybe she can help me getting some comments. Thank you so much for your faithfulness. I will be writing on, even though you might be the only one. Then it feels to you like a personal letter! Ha!

      Delete
  2. Well, my dear, if those women can reach out and slap you, then I suggest you slap them right back! ;-) That'll teach 'em for being so smart and sure of themselves. I am sure your own good ways of making a skirt are more than acceptable.
    I love your letters and I'm delighted you're writing these little gems of wisdom peppered with wit.
    I look forward to seeing a picture of the finished skirt.
    With every good woofy wish ;-)
    The Golden Dog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golden Dog, I salute you! May your paws always find a path in the woods to run along and a brook to swim in! This is a blessing for you and your mum. My skirt is still in the making, but I promise I will show you. I have, however, still not found out how to add pictures here!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

God laughs at my plans, says Robbie Williams

Women`s Rights, of no interest